Eye problems, poor vision, migraines? Tips for healthy eyes.
The health of our eyes is very important, and there are many things one can do to keep them healthy and prevent loss of vision and eye degeneration.
In recent years, we are spending many hours a day watching screens of electronic equipment, computer, phones or reading books, writing or studying. All this overuse of our eyes sooner or later will cause eye problems starting from red eyes, blurred vision, dry eyes, headaches, which are just some of the symptoms.
Ayurveda have many recommendations and remedies to address eye problems. It is an indication of Pitta and Vata imbalance, which if you are like me on your Pitta or Vata stage of life, you can really notice the effects on your vision.
How can we help our eyes stay healthy?
1) take a break from the screen or books every 20-30 minutes, get up and stretch your body, walk to make yourself a nice cup of tea.
2) Relax for 10 minutes with two cotton pads dampen in rose water. Rose water has a cooling effect, pitta pacifying and in particular helpful for tired eyes.
3) do some eye yoga while sitting in sukhasana, move your eyes in every direction pausing for 2-5 seconds alternating right, left, up and down and each side corner. Fix your eyes to a far wall, then a halfway point, then the top of your nose, without straining. Repeat a few times. End by closing your eyes for a few seconds or half a minute.
4) Do some palming: gently cover your eyes with the palms of your hands, cupping them without putting any pressure. Maintaining your spine straight, breath slowly to release stress. Repeat 2-3 times.
5) Have a break for 2-3 rounds of sun salutation.
6) Drink plenty of water, reduce caffeine and increase food that is good for the eyes are stewed apples, carrot juice, soaked almonds.Vata/pitta pacifying.
7) Have a good night sleep and reduce stress.
8) splash your eyes with cool water in the morning.
9) use ayurvedic remedies such a triphala, triphala eye wash, ghee and castor oil.
10) drink fennel seeds tea and eat almonds each day.
Fennel drink: boil 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds in a cup of water and boil until it reduces to half. sip when warm.
Almonds have omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin E and antioxidants that naturally improve your eyesight, memory power, and concentration. Prepare a paste of soaked almonds and drink it with a glass of milk. Do this every day for a few months, until you see some improvement.
Breakfast: eat a stewed apple and 1/4 cup chickpeas which have been sprouted for two days.
Lunch: salad with shredded white daikon radish and one carrot, flavored with salt and lemon juice. You can also add cucumber, tomato or lettuce to taste.
Vegetable soups, green leafy vegetables, and wheat bread are nourishing for the eyes.
Dinner: Same cooked foods, only less quantity.
A combination of ayurvedic herbs, medicated oils, eye drops, diet, stress reduction and exercise can improve and even cure some of the condition, it helps prevent cataracts, glaucoma and other serious eye problems. Each person will have a different need including Ayurvedic medicine prescribed by an Ayurvedic professional.
This May only, take advantage of 50% ayurvedic consultation as part of my ayurvedic project.